How to catch onChange event

How to catch onChange event

DaveNavarroDaveNavarro Posts: 18Questions: 7Answers: 0

Hello,

I'm trying to catch the onChange event for a field type: select.

I've attempted to use the sample code (shown below) however, it's triggered by several different events.

$( editor.field( 'myField' ).input() ).on( 'change', function () {
console.log( 'select2 change' );
} );

I found this sample here; https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/28670/how-to-trap-or-catch-onchange-events-from-select-or-select2

Anyway, when the page loads data via ajax or I select a new column the event is triggered. I was hoping to have the event triggered only when the user makes a new selection from the select list.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can achieve this behavior?

Please let me know and thanks,

~ Dave

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,744Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

When Editor triggers a change itself it will also pass a data object in as the second parameter to the change callback. That will have an editorSet property which is true, so you can check that to see if it was caused by Editor or by the user:

function ( e, d ) {
      if ( d && d.editorSet ) {
        return;
      }

}

Editor 1.5.6 is going to formalise that, although it will be called editor rather than editorSet in the documentation (editorSet will continue to be present - its just not documented at the moment while I was confirming it would be useful!).

Allan

• DaveNavarroDaveNavarro Posts: 18Questions: 7Answers: 0

Hello Allan,

Many thanks for the quick reply and solution. It works as advertised!
    Here's what I'm using now;

editor.field('Vendor').input().on('change', function (e, d) {
        if ( d && d.editorSet ) return;

alert("You selected " + $(this).val());
    });

It's grabbing the select list value (ID) so I can process the next step. Of course the field name "Vendor" is my field name and it will be changed for the other fields I setup.

Thanks again for your help!

~ Dave

• brendonsbrendons Posts: 39Questions: 14Answers: 1

For me, this works for select inputs but not for select2.
    Select2 inputs throw the error: "d is undefined".

Brendon

Could you check your Select2 Editor plug-in code contains:

set: function ( conf, val ) {
            conf._input.val( val ).trigger( 'change', {editor: true} );
        },

It looks like the update function might also need the object passed into it, although without a back trace I'm not sure if it is set or update that is triggering the error you are seeing.

Allan

• brendonsbrendons Posts: 39Questions: 14Answers: 1

Hi Allan,
    the set: function has it but the update: function doesn't.
    I was able to add , {editor: true} to the update function in the non-minified js file and this fixed it for me.
    I'm not sure how to fix the minified file though.
    I am using a downloaded combined js file. I have listed the included libraries below. HTH.
    Many thanks for looking at this.

Included libraries:
    * Bootstrap 3.3.7, jQuery 2.2.4, JSZip 2.5.0, pdfmake 0.1.18, Moment 2.13.0, jQuery Mask 1.13.4, Select2 4.0.1, Selectize 0.12.1, DataTables 1.10.13, Buttons 1.2.4, Flash export 1.2.4, HTML5 export 1.2.4, Print view 1.2.4, Editor 1.6.1, Field type - Display 1.5.6, Field type - Mask 1.5.6, Field type - Select2 1.5.6, Field type - Selectize 1.5.6, Field type - Title 1.5.6, Select 1.2.0

Until I deploy the update to the download builder, perhaps the easiest way is just to include the plug-in again at the end. It will overwrite the previous plug-in, and the code is small enough that it won't effect the download time.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.