Export to excel button freezing browser with ~20,000 rows

Export to excel button freezing browser with ~20,000 rows

tonyfitzhughtonyfitzhugh Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

I am running into an issue and am hoping for some guidance, even if it is that I am going about this type of thing the wrong way. In any event, I have a datatable that is dynamically generated with data from a remote API. The table(s) contain a decently large quantity of data (up to 20k rows and 10-20 columns, some with HTML text of varying length).

Smaller exports (<10k rows) download, but it takes roughly 4-5. When I try to export the full table, though, the browser becomes unresponsive and the download never happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I expect a download of this size to not time out the browser? If so, are there any other options using the DataTables library?

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

You could try using DataTables 1.10.16. The newer releases have a performance regression that fix a bug, but cause the export to be a lot slower.

The alternative is to have the server-side script do the export for you.

Allan

• tonyfitzhughtonyfitzhugh Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi Allan,

Thank you for the quick reply. I did as you suggested and the export to CSV worked significantly faster, roughly 10 seconds for 21,000 rows opposed to 6-infinity minutes before.

DataTables is one of the most flexible, lightweight, and easy to implement libraries I have come across in quite a while. Keep up the awesome work!

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

Thanks! Great to hear that helped. That is something that I will be fixing for the next release :)

Allan

This discussion has been closed.