Internet Explorer Column Width Woes

Internet Explorer Column Width Woes

atcatc Posts: 14Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited October 2009 in General
Hello Allan,

thanks as always for the great tool and for answering my questions so promptly and cheerfully! My tables are working quite well at this point, only a few more features to untangle. But I've discovered a display problem in IE7:

I have a standard/wide view toggle since some of the tables are quite large. For the larger tables, in "Standard" view, the table columns are sized automatically/dynamically to fit their content and there is a scrollbar at the bottom to allow you to view all of the columns.

This is the case on my Mac in all browsers, and on Windows XP/Safari 3.2.3. But in IE7, the columns are all squished into the available space such that content gets chopped off and column headers are impossible to read.

I have bAutoWidth set to false, and widths for the table and enclosing divs are defined as percentages. I'm stumped as to how to convince IE to play along and would really appreciate any suggestions/solutions. Let me know if any of this is unclear and I'll try to explain better and/or post some screenshots.

Best,
Alison

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,759Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Hi Alison,

How are you doing the overflow scrolling? I would imagine if you had an div wrapped around the table element which had something like overflow-x:scroll; width:400px;, then anything beyond 400px would do the trick. If you have the overflow:scroll on the table element - then it could be that IE has gone a bit wonky with this...

Regards,
    Allan
  • atcatc Posts: 14Questions: 0Answers: 0
    *Doh!* Finally noticed that I had the table within the div set to table-layout:fixed. For some reason dataTables managed to override this everywhere except IE. Now that it's set to table-layout:auto, everything's hunky-dory. Thanks for pointing me back to take yet another look at my stylesheets so I caught it at last!

Best,
    Alison
  • jonasjonas Posts: 11Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Just to thank you for your great tool and for the time you take to answer everyone ! Just found the answer to one of my little problems in this post.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.