Orthogonal data from AJAX and column definition with HTML5 data attributes

Orthogonal data from AJAX and column definition with HTML5 data attributes

fxufxu Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Description of problem:

I'm trying to render a DataTable using orthogonal data obtained via AJAX, specifying which data to map to which column using only HTML5 data attributes. Column definition looks like this in the table header:

<th data-data="category" data-orderable="true">Category</th>
<th data-data="amount" data-orderable="true">Amount</th>

The data from AJAX looks like this:

{"data": [{"category": "incoming", "amount": {"display": "8.000", "sort": 8000}}, ...]}

The category column renders correctly but the amount only shows "[object Object]". If I set data-data="amount.display" then the content is displayed correctly, but sorting still does not work correctly. Am I using orthogonal data wrong or is it a problem with HTML5 data attributes?

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,146Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

You would need to use columns (or columnDefs) to breakdown that object - something like this:

columnDefs: [{
                targets: 1,
                render: {
                    _: 'display',
                    sort: 'sort'
                }
            }]

Colin

• fxufxu Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hey Colin, I have it working with columnDefs already but, for reasons I don't want to bother you guys with here, I want to try a solution with HTML5 data attributes. Also I would have to specify the above columnDefs for each and every orthogonal column....The way I understand the docs is that there should be a way to do this similar to the above with HTML5 data attributes. Am I using it wrong somehow, is it a bug or am I misunderstanding that it is possible?

Another way I thought about doing this is overwriting the render() function for all targets and checking if the data is orthogonal...would this be a better way to solve it?

Thanks for your time.

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,315Questions: 26Answers: 4,771

My understanding is HTML5 data attributes for orthogonal data is only supported with DOM sourced tables. See Allan's responses in this thread and this thread.

Kevin