Hotkeys

Hotkeys

pweissbrodpweissbrod Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited October 2009 in General
I just finished a demo of wiring dataTables to js-hotkeys for a rapid-navigation grid.
Hopefully this will be helpful when you are designing any programs that people will be using for extended amounts in their daily work.
http://www.reallifedata.com/keyboardgrid/demo.html

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,746Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Hi pweissbrod,

That's outstanding! Thanks very much indeed for posting your demo. I will see if I can wrap this up into a plug-in and put it into the DataTables documentation or even an example here on the site as I've seen this asked for a few times.

Regards,
    Allan
  • pweissbrodpweissbrod Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thanks Allan.

Some comments:
    -In IE, watch out for shortcuts such as ctrl+F or ctrl+s because these shortcuts will be intercepted by the browser and will not reach your jquery code.
    - Some people think the jQueryUI plugin is excessively bloated. You can remove it from this example and the code will still work.
    - I used your external "fnPageChange" function to make the paging work, and I referenced it in its own js file. This is a good function and I'd like to see it added to the core js file.

I've only been working with your grid for a week now but I've found your design to be superior to the more popular jqGrid plugin. When you dont know much about grid plugins, youre likely to start with jqGrid because its name naturally comes up when you search for "jquery + grid". In .NET, the term "DataTables" has a whole different meaning :)
This discussion has been closed.