Bootstrap 2's glyphicons

Bootstrap 2's glyphicons

periklisperiklis Posts: 13Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited February 2012 in DataTables 1.9
Hello,
I have successfully incorporated datatables with twitter bootstrap 1.4 and now 2.0 (thanks to datatable's excellent documentation!). I would now like to use bootstrap's glyphicons for the asc/desc sorting indicator (up/down arrows). To do this, I need to place a on the table's . Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,761Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    From the bootstrap documentation my understanding is that the should be mandatory, but I wasn't actually able to get it working in a TH element. Currently DataTables as an alternative markup option that will inject a SPAN tag for sort icons, which is the bJQueryUI option, so that could potentially be used for it, but there isn't a direct option to use I tags in the header at the moment.

Allan
  • periklisperiklis Posts: 13Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thanks for the fast response allan. I'll post here if I come up with any workaround
  • richardprichardp Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Instead of using Glyphicons for the sorting indicators, I copied Bootstrap's caret (as per the dropdown buttons). Here's a summary of what I did...

HTML
    Use the following when creating table headers.
    [code]

Column Title

[/code]

JavaScript
    Adjust the sorting styles for DataTables.
    [code]
    $.extend($.fn.dataTable.ext.oStdClasses, {
    sSortAsc: 'sort sort-up',
    sSortDesc: 'sort sort-down',
    sSortable: 'sort',
    sSortableAsc: 'sort sort-up',
    sSortableDesc: 'sort sort-down',
    sSortableNone: 'sort sort-none'
    });
    [/code]

CSS/LESS
    This is the extra LESS you will need.
    [code]
    table.dataTable {
    thead {
    th.sort {
    position: relative;
    padding-right: 16px;
    cursor: pointer;
    .sort {
    position: absolute;
    right: 4px;
    top: 50%;
    height: 100%;
    margin-top: -5px;
    .opacity(20);
    .transition(opacity .25s linear);
    .sort-up,
    .sort-down {
    display: block;
    width: 0;
    height: 0;
    vertical-align: top;
    border-left: 4px solid transparent;
    border-right: 4px solid transparent;
    content: "";
    }
    .sort-up {
    border-bottom: 4px solid @black;
    margin-bottom: 2px;
    }
    .sort-down {
    border-top: 4px solid @black;
    margin-top: 2px;
    }
    }
    &.sort-none {
    cursor: default;
    .sort {
    display: none;
    }
    }
    &.sort-up,
    &.sort-down {
    .sort {
    .opacity(60);
    }
    }
    &.sort-up {
    .sort-down {
    .invisible;
    }
    }
    &.sort-down {
    .sort-up {
    .invisible;
    }
    }
    &:hover {
    .sort {
    .opacity(100);
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    [/code]

jquery.dataTables.js
    A minor change to make to the DataTables source. This prevents DataTables overwriting your element if it is different from the column's sTitle parameter. There are two options here: apply this code change or don't use the sTitle parameter. However, if you go with the latter, the 's aria-label attribute will contain the HTML you set above as well as the actual title text. (Allan: perhaps you could roll one of these changes into your next version.)
    This code resides on lines 1068 to 1072 of 1.9.0 in the _fnBuildHead function.
    [code]
    /* Set the title of the column if it is user defined (not what was auto detected) */
    if (!nTh.innerHTML.indexOf(oSettings.aoColumns[i].sTitle)) // this line was changed
    {
    nTh.innerHTML = oSettings.aoColumns[i].sTitle;
    }
    [/code]
  • allanallan Posts: 61,761Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Thanks very much for sharing this with us - nice one!

> the HTML you set above as well as the actual title text

heh - great timing! I actually just committed a change to strip the HTML from the aria-label attribute. It is in the 1.9.1.dev nightly now and will be in 1.9.1 when released (not too far away).

Thanks,
    Allan
  • richardprichardp Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Allan,

[quote]I actually just committed a change to strip the HTML from the aria-label attribute.[/quote]

1.9.1 appears to strip HTML ok but it doesn't strip excess whitespace. Perhaps you could $.trim() the string after stripping HTML? This also affects other things like ColVis, which will also have the extra whitespace in its column titles.

I think for now I'll just stick to using my indexof() change above so it can keep using the sTitle I provide without overwriting the table sorting divs.
This discussion has been closed.